Mom’s culinary skill is highly challenged and attains its acme if she has to prepare one particular item daily in different forms and colors to shun monotony. My children’s love for chicken is so cavernous and intense that they can barely go a day without devouring chicken. Whether served as a main course or as an accompaniment, as a one-pot menu or a complementary option, chicken constitutes the best part of their daily diet. Surprisingly they do not mind eating chicken in all their meals throughout the day provided it is served in interesting varieties.
So chicken is the staple diet of my family meal. That makes my carte du jour both easy and complicated at the same time. Easy because one dish is always decided no matter what is the day or occasion. And complicated because every day the same preparation cannot be served and is not desirable either! So I am in fact forced to come out of my comfort zone and make lots of research and experimentation with this comfort food.
My today’s recipe is of a type of fried chicken. The uniqueness of this recipe lies in the fact that it is coated in bread crumbs twice. The double bread coating makes it crispy and firm as well. Not too many ingredients are there to complicate the recipe. Overall it is easy to follow the recipe!
Preparation Time: 20 min
- Chicken drumsticks: 8 no’s
- Ginger-garlic paste: 2 tbsp
- Thick curd: 2 tbsp
- Salt and black pepper: to taste.
- Garam masala: 1 tsp
- Egg: 2
- Bread crumbs: 300 gm.
- Lemon juice: of 1 lemon
- Oil for deep-frying.
- Wash chicken thoroughly. Marinate with lemon juice, salt, and pepper for ½ hour.
- Steam chicken in a pressure cooker. After the first whistle reduces the heat and cooks on simmer for 5 minutes.
- Dry the liquid in the cooker. Let the chicken pieces come to room temperature.
- Mix eggs with ginger-garlic paste, curd and salt and pepper thoroughly. Add garam masala.
- Spread breadcrumbs on a plate.
- Dip each chicken piece in the egg batter and then coat it well with the breadcrumbs.
- Repeat the process by dipping each drumstick again in egg batter and coating it well with bread crumbs. Press each piece nicely in between your palms so that the crumbs stick to the drumsticks.
- Keep in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Heat sufficient oil in deep bottomed oak and deep fry the chicken till it becomes brown. Take it out on absorbent kitchen napkin.
- Serve hot with rings of onion.
1. The size of the drumstick should be small to get the desired result.
2. Bread crumbs can be either store-bought or homemade. I have used a homemade one.
3. As the chicken is steamed before so there is no need to fry it for long. Put it in smocking hot oil and turn once when it gets nice brown color to retain the succulent taste.
This fried chicken can be served either as snacks or as a complementary side dish. But whether served before a meal or with the meal, make sure to prepare some extra as seldom can one resist over-eating it and children invariably ask for more…
Serve with onion rings and green chutney or hot and sweet sauce. A bowl of fresh salad can be served to reduce the guilt feeling of having deep-fried chicken. Calorie-conscious people may not like this recipe but once in a while, there is no harm in trying out these types of variations to break the monotony.