“You don’t have to be a chef or even a particularly good cook to experience proper kitchen alchemy: the moment when ingredients combine to form something more delectable than the sum of their parts. Fancy ingredients or recipes not required; simple, made-up things are usually even better”. Erin Morgenstern
I am not a chef. But I am passionate about my cooking especially when it comes to coalescing commonplace ingredients into scrumptious dishes. I also love to experiment with ingredients and renovate basic recipes into unusual delicacies. My today’s recipe is one such item where I have transformed a basic pancake into a palatable pancake sandwich.
My son is obsessed with pancakes and I have no option but to prepare it almost every Sunday at breakfast. But recurrence over a period of time makes even the tastiest of foods monotonous. A dabble of common sense and a little exercising of the mind produced the innovation. Voila! The result was the most amazing sandwich I have ever made…..PANCAKE SANDWICH.
The Perfect Homemade Pancake Recipe is easy to make with ingredients you probably already have on hand. With a perfect batter, the most amazing pancakes can be made in less than half an hour. Let me tell you the pancake sandwich which I prepared following the basic pancake recipe will surely be a show stopper in your next breakfast get together.
Here at the outset, I would like to mention that for making these sandwiches, we don’t need very fluffy pancakes. Pancake lovers might sneer over this as whenever we think of pancakes that fluffy, round, golden colour objects appear in our mind. But to taste a new thing a minor deviation from the original recipe should not be a major issue. After all, inventions occurred because someone somewhere dared to think different!
Approximately 45 minutes.
Makes: 8-10 pancakes (depending upon the size)
- Egg-1 large in room temperature.
- Milk-1 cup, lukewarm
- Multigrain Atta ( flour)-½ cup
- Flour-½ cup
- Baking powder-1 tsp
- Powder sugar-2 tbsp
- Salt-1 Tsp
- Mixed herbs-1 Tsp
- Black pepper-1 Tsp
- Butter-3 tbsp (melted)
- Onion-2 medium sizes
- Tomato-2 medium size
- Capsicum-1 large
- Chili flakes-1 Tsp
- Salt-according to taste.
- Chicken sausage-4 nos.
- Oil-2 tbsp refined oil or olive oil
- Mayonnaise-4 tbsp
- Tomato sauce-4 tbsp
- Cheese grated-5-6 tbsp( optional)
1. Pour 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add onion and sauté on medium flame.
2. Add capsicum and sauté for a few minutes. Finally, add chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper. Add chilli flakes. Add tomato sauce and mix well.
3. Cook covered for 2-3 minutes. The mixture should be mushy in consistency.
4. Put off the gas and let it cool slightly.
5. Shallow fry sausages. Cut them diagonally into thin pieces.
1. Mix the dry ingredients together, i.e., wheat flour (multigrain Atta), baking powder, sugar, and mixed herbs and salt.
2. Beat egg till light and slightly fluffy. Add milk and mix well.
3. Add melted butter and mix well.
4. Gradually fold in dry ingredients and mix lightly. Don’t over mix. Normally pancake batter should be thick but here we need the batter to be slightly thin inconsistency to make the sandwiches.
5. Keep aside for at least 15 minutes.
6. Preheat a non-stick flat pan on the gas. The pan should be moderately hot to make perfect pancakes.
7. Take a ¼ cup of batter and pour over the pan. Slightly tilt the pan to spread the batter. Cook pancake on slow flame.
8. When the edges start turning light brown and bubbles start forming on top it’s time to flip the pancake. The colour of the cooked side should be a nice light brown. After about 2 min the pancakes are ready to be served. Prepare all the pancakes. This recipe will make 6 pancakes approximately.
Take a pancake. The brown side should be on top. Put mayonnaise on the other side. Put some filling and evenly spread it. Put sausages. Sprinkle some chilli flakes. Put some cheese (optional). Now put another pancake on it. The golden side should be on top. Press lightly. Cut into triangles and enjoy the lip-smacking, soft, aromatic pancake sandwich!
1. While making pancake all the ingredients should be in room temperature. Do not over mix the batter. After preparing the batter it’s very important to leave it for at least 15 minutes.
2. A nice brown edge on the underside of the pancake is the indication that it’s ready to be flipped. Bubbles that form and stay hollow are the indication from the top of your a pancake that it’s ready.
3. Preheat the pan is important and while making pancake one needs to be careful to regulate the temperature. A moderate temperature is ideal to get the perfect result.
4. As pancake sandwich was on my mind, so I made the batter slightly thin as fluffy pancake wouldn’t have served the purpose.
Any recipe becomes boring if we overuse it. And at that point, to break the monotony imagination takes the lead and even a very simple recipe turns out to be an innovative delicacy. This sandwich is an ideal example of imagination going wild to prepare something different and I am happy that I could make it just right!