Inhibitions kept me from trying out lemon tart for a long time. I have always thought of giving it a try but for some unknown reason, I changed my mind every time.
I finally decided to stop second-guessing myself and started searching for a good egg-less recipe for the filling. I did borrow some ideas from various places but the end product is purely my brainchild. I prefer my desserts egg-less, there is no particular reason to support this, possibly it’s my mindset.
Cooking time: 1 hour (approx.)
For Tarts :
- 2 cups flour
- 75 gm butter
- 1 tbsp powder sugar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 5-6 tbsp ice-cold water.
- For lemon filling :
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 3-4 drops yellow food coloring
- 4 tbsp iced water
- 150 gm Amul fresh cream
1. Start by sieving the flour, baking powder and salt together.
2. Put it in a mixer along with sugar and cold butter. Churn it for 2 seconds until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
3. Add ice cold water and knead till the dough turns stiff. Wrap it in cling fling and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
4. Roll out the dough to ¼“thickness. Cut into small tarts with a cookie cutter.
5. Press the cut dough into small tart shells. Prick them with a fork all over.
6. Place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
7. Bake at 230 degree C for 20-25 minutes.
8. Once the shells are ready, set aside to cool them.
1. Mix all ingredients, except the lemon juice in a pan and cook on very low flame till thick. Allow it to cool and add lemon juice.
2. Beat cream till a soft peak forms.
3. Mix this cream with the flour mixture thoroughly.
4. Fill the mixture in the tart shells.
5. Decorate with fresh fruits.
(Keep refrigerated until served.)
1. Quantity of butter matters, a lot while making the tart shells. Less usage of it will not give the desired result.
2. I used Amul cream (25% fat) which did not give me the outcome that I expected. Whipped cream is essential to pipe the filling into the shell.
3. Tart shells can be prepared one or two days in advance.
Treat yourself with this lemony delight. Its light nature serves as a wonderful option after a heavy or spicy meal.