For the last couple of days was looking for a simple yet slightly different tea cake recipe. While searching the net I encountered this recipe of a sponge cake with melted white chocolate.
The presence of chocolate made all the differences, both in taste and texture as well. While baking the cake the whole house filled with a beautiful aroma and needless to say, the cake was over within a day!
Cake baking is an art which requires lots of patience and perseverance. One has to be very particular about the measurement of the ingredients and even mixing requires special attention as it affects the texture of the cake. A fluffy cake with smooth texture requires hard work and patience.
Coming to the recipe, it’s a simple cake, somewhat like a hot milk cake. But melted white chocolate gives it richness and a beautiful taste to have a lingering effect. Unlike a chocolate cake, this cake is not moist in nature but fluffy, light and soft. It makes a great tea time cake. I didn’t try icing on it as I want to taste the cake as it is. Maybe next time will try some white chocolate fudge or simple white chocolate ganache as a topping!
Preparation time: 30 min (approx)
Baking time: 40-45 min (approx)
- Eggs- 3
- Flour- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar- 3/4 cup
- White chocolate, chopped- 3/4 cup
- Butter- 6 tbsp
- Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
- Baking powder- 1 ½ tsp
- Milk- 3/4 cup
1. Grease and line an 8-inch cake tin.
2. In a pan heat chocolate, butter and milk together until chocolate and butter melt.
3. Sieve together flour and baking powder at least twice.
4. Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric beater until stiff and increases in volume and gets pale colour.
5. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until well combined.
6. Add the chocolate mixture and mix lightly.
7. Pour batter in the prepared tin. Tap to remove bubbles from the batter.
8. Bake at 180 degrees C for 40-45 min until a toothpick inserted in the centre and comes out clean.
9. Cool and unmould carefully.
Easy and simple this cake is an ideal tea-time delight. It can be a base cake for frosting as well.
Do not store in the refrigerator as it will spoil the softness. This cake stays fresh and soft for 2-3 days in room temperature if stored in an airtight container. Presence of chocolate makes it slightly sweeter. So adjust the sugar content according to your taste. If using unsalted butter add ½ tsp salt with the ingredients. Baking time may vary from oven to oven. It’s better to keep a watch after 30 min to get a perfect golden top and to prevent over baking which will spoil the colour and the texture of the cake.