Come March and I am all set to prepare Tiramisu. My younger son’s birthday is in March and he is extremely fond of this dessert and so I am left with no option but to gear up for this Italian delicacy.
Tiramisu needs no introduction. The internet is flooded with innumerable recipes of this dessert. When I tried Tiramisu for the first time, I followed one of those recipes verbatim. But later on, I started adding my own imagination and the outcome is the present recipe of Tiramisu which I found quite appealing and appropriate.
The sponge cake used in this recipe is home-baked. The cream cheese used here is also prepared at home. Though it took me added time but the eventual satisfaction I achieved cannot be articulated in words.
- Sponge cake….. 1 pound.
- Cream cheese… 200 gm (See homemade recipe below)
- Fresh cream……200 gm
- Powder sugar…. ½ cup
- Vanilla essence…1 tsp
- Coffee powder….. To sprinkle
- Coffee…….. 1 cup (I have used filter coffee). Two tsp sugar to be added to the coffee.
- Chocó chip biscuit… 1 packet
1. Whip cream with sugar till soft peak forms. Add essence.
2. Add cream cheese and beat it gently. In summers it can be kept in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
3. Cut the sponge cake into two halves. Take a square / rectangular dish and place one half in it.
4. Pour half the coffee on the cake and let it soak for a few minutes.
5. Spread half of the cream+ cream cheese mixture evenly.
6. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
7. Soak choco-chip biscuits (I have used Hide n Seek) in black coffee and spread a layer of this over the cream cheese layer.
8. Again put a layer of sponge cake and soak with coffee.
9. Spread the remaining cream mixture and level it evenly. Sprinkle coffee powder on top.
10. Chill in refrigerator till sets.
This is a hassle-free recipe and if sponge cake and cream cheese are procured ready-made, then Tiramisu can be prepared within half an hour or even less. But as I love to follow lengthy procedures (inborn drawback) I prefer to prepare most of the things at home. This way I have control over the ingredients and derive immense satisfaction as well.
Cream Cheese Recipe:
In a pan take 200 ml of Amul cream, 500 ml full cream milk and 1 cup of sour curd. Put it on a slow flame. Keep stirring. When it gets curdled discard the water and put it in a muslin cloth. Put some weight on it, like we do while setting paneer. After 1/2 hour take it out from the cloth. Put it in a mixer. Blend it with 2 tbsp of curd and a pinch of salt to a smooth paste. Your cream cheese is ready to be used.
Instead of sponge cake chocolate biscuits can also be used.
Store bought cream cheese will definitely reduce timings and hassles as well.
Whipped cream or cream with 25% fat content, both will serve the purpose.
While searching the net for homemade cream cheese recipe I found this one in one of the you tube videos.