In these trying times of the COVID 19 pandemic, when we are bestowed with all the freedom to do whatever we feel like within the four walls of home when the outside world is almost shut albeit, for our own safety, the best way to remain enthused and optimistic is to follow one’s passion. The last couple of months witnessed many changes and challenges with long-lasting effects. Words like “pandemic”, “lock down”, “virus”, “quarantine” have effectively replaced the normal pace of life forcing us to change our outlook and lifestyles. Amidst this pessimistic and depressive environment, the best way to chill is to keep our minds occupied with productive thoughts and not let the brain becomes a devils workshop!
Nowadays the social media is replete with lock down recipes which are undeniably an evocative effort towards proffering some hassle-free recipes. But I’ll refrain from foraying into those realms because most of my recipes are easy to follow with accessible ingredients. Today I present to you a chicken recipe which is unique in itself. Chicken drumsticks or whole legs prepared in rich tomato gravy surely will win over hearts of all chicken lovers. This recipe can be prepared either rich and spicy or mild and less spicy according to the food habits of the family.
Preparation time: 15 min (approx)
Cooking Time: 20 min (approx)
Difficulty level: Easy
- Chicken- 8 medium-sized drumsticks or whole legs cut into 2 pieces
- Tomatoes- 250 gm
- Tomato puree (ready made) – ½ cup
- Onion- 2 large, chopped
- Garlic- 2 tbsp, chopped
- Red pepper- 1 tsp Tomato sauce- 2 tbsp
- Black pepper powder-2 tsp or according to taste
- Nutmeg powder- ½ tsp
- Vinegar- 2 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- 4-5 tbsp
- Cream (optional) – 2-3 tbsp
- Mint leaves- few for decoration.
- Marinate the chicken pieces in vinegar, black pepper powder and salt for at least an hour.
- Blanche tomatoes and put it in a liquidizer to puree it.
- Put oil in a non-stick pan and shallow fry the chicken pieces till light brown.
- Remove the chicken pieces and in the same oil add chopped garlic and sauté.
- Add chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- Add the chicken pieces.
- Add red and black pepper powder and fry for 2-3 seconds.
- Add both the homemade and ready made tomato puree.
- Add tomato sauce.
- Mix well. Cover with a lid and let it cook on a slow flame for at least 15 minutes.
- Put off the gas and add nutmeg powder.
- Take it out in a serving bowl and decorate with cream and mint leaves.
Though I feel drumsticks are ideal for this preparation, any portion of chicken will serve the purpose.
Store-bought tomato puree can completely be replaced by homemade puree. Choose ripe, red tomatoes for best results.
Use of cream is purely optional.
For extra flavour, basil leaves can be added.
This chicken preparation goes very well with plain rice and bread as well.
Presently, when eating out is not a safe option and many places are, as such out of bounds, try out this simple yet lip-smacking recipe from the comfort zone of your own kitchen. Cooking might be a necessity for livelihood but preparing delicious food for your dear and near ones is a therapy by itself! Try this therapy to get over the difficult phase that we are all going through right now.