Gulab jamun cheesecake is an Indian cheesecake, a fusion dessert where flavors of Indian sweet mingle perfectly with the popular western dessert. It’s a classic dessert dressed up with Indian flair. Cheesecake always fascinates me amongst all desserts. Given options, I am ready to make cheesecake any time and any day without much prior mental preparation. So for a get-together or parties cheesecake peeps into my mind as the obvious sweet option.
In the initial years of my culinary experiments, I was not very confident about cheesecake. But this is one dessert which never failed me whatever may have been the flavors or ingredients. Naturally, my confidence started building up and now proudly I can say that cheesecake is my comfort dessert.
When I made the gulab jamun cheesecake for the first time I had no idea about its flavour or taste as I have never had it before. So almost from a blind zone and from scratch I made this cheesecake depending upon a few recipes and came up with success. Amongst all the recipes I came across Sanjeev Kapoor’s one was the best to follow. So my heartfelt thanks to the master chef for such an easy and delectable recipe!
This Gulab Jamun cheesecake is made without eggs and it’s a no-bake recipe. This cheesecake is full of Indian flavors and its fascinating aroma makes everyone asks for more!
PREPARATION TIME: 40 min, approx.
COOKING TIME: 30 min approx.
- Gulab Jamun (small ones): 30-35 (halved)
- Cream Cheese: 200 gm
- Digestive or Marie biscuits (crushed 10-15)
- Butter (melted): ¼ cup- ½ cup
- Hung curd: 1 cup
- Condensed milk: ½ cup
- Gelatin: 1 tbsp. (mixed in 5 tbsp. of water)
- Elaichi powder: 1 tsp
- Sugar: ½ cup (powdered)
1. Crush biscuits with a rolling pin or churn in a mixer. Add melted butter and mix well.
2. Line a loose bottom cake tin with the mixture, press it lightly and keep in the fridge to set
.3. Mix gelatin in water and put it in the microwave for 10 seconds to mix well.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese lightly with sugar. Add hung curd and milkmaid and mix well.
5. Add gelatin to the mixture and mix well. Add Elaichi powder.
6. Cut the gulab jamuns into halves. Take out the biscuit base from refrigerator and arrange the jamuns nicely to cover the whole base. Keep a few jamuns aside for decoration. When half set takes it out and decorate with few gulab jamuns and chopped pistachios or according to your taste and imagination!
7. Refrigerate till set. Approximately it will take 5-6 hrs. to set.
8. Take it out 10 minutes before serving. Cut into wedges and serve.
Needless to say, it’s a very easy recipe with simple ingredients. You can adjust sugar content according to your taste as the milkmaid is already sweet.
Never set cheesecake in freezer. The cheesecake should always be set in the refrigerator. So prepare it in advance to set well. It stays fresh in the refrigerator for good 3-4 days.